Log in

No account? Create an account

Sat, Jan. 12th, 2008, 11:52 pm
crashgirrl: Intro

I've just received my acceptance letter for the spring semester into the photo program as a transfer student so;

Hi! I'm Robyn , a 28 year old who just finished over at the New England School of photography and am looking to get a degree now. I like to do editorial shoots with people and I also have interest in large format chromes and black and white fiber printing .

So , let's be friends. Tell me all about AIB , I haven't even gotten a tour yet. What's the photo department like?

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 05:43 am (UTC)

hi again

if you are printing color on the left side, bring a sweater. and mittens. if you are printing color on the right side, best wear some shorts. there's some temperature issues in the basement, to say the least.

if you are printing digitally come say hello, i work in the digital lock up.

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 03:37 pm (UTC)

What's that like? What do they use for computers , digital printers and scanners? Do they have portrait studios or lighting equipment? How many color darkroooms and black and white darkrooms do they have?

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 03:57 pm (UTC)

we have 3 computer labs... the digital print lab is equipped with about 15 g5's with new lacie flat screen monitors that are calibrated every week. each computer is hooked up to a scanner... there are mostly epson 4990's which have the ability to scan anywhere from 35mm to 4x5 (and i suppose 8x10 i you used a piece of glass). we have two nikon coolscan 9000's which are really nice and that i have been using a lot of lately. we also got this big microtek scanner or something... i haven't used it yet but supposedly it is just there to scan 4x5's so you don't get newton rings.

as for printers, we have 2 epson 4800's and 4 epson 4000's running a variety of paper surfaces. we also have a 7600 and a 9600 for large printing (24" wide and 44" wide).
you can also check out tablets and tablet pens if you need them.

we don't have a dedicated studio, but you can reserve rooms that function as studios as long as there isn't a conflicting class reservation. we have a pretty large array of lighting equipment... hot lights, daylight balanced hot lights, single strobe heads, travel packs, battery powered packs for location shooting, 2400 packs.
we also have a variety of cameras that can be checked out... nikon d200's, a mamiya with a leaf back (but which can only be used within the school), hasselblads, 4x5's, pinholes, polaroid backs, a fuji 6x9, etcetc. we have a variety of accessories as well.

there are about 13 color darkrooms. sometimes it gets pretty cramped down there and you won't be able to get a room right away. during the course of the semester, you learn when the times are that EVERYONE is going to be printing. (aib is dumb a schedules a lot of important classes on the same day so everyone prints the day before - this past semester tuesday was The Day to print) if you schedule right, you can find times when no one else is printing. mornings are usually good for this. most of the time the labs don't pick up until the end of the semester.

we have a freshman/sophomore b&w lab that has like 15 enlargers in it or something. it gets pretty busy, there are a lot of freshman/sophomores.
there is also the junior/senior lab that maybe like 4 people use during the course of the semester. color and digital printing are very popular.

*exhales* i know a lot about the facilities and the equipment because i worked at both the digital lockup and the photo lockup so i was constantly checking shit out to people. so really, if you have any other questions let me know... i'll be happy to help. i remember i was like terrified when i transferred in.

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 05:49 pm (UTC)

Thanks , I really appreciate that. It's really cool to have someone who's got some more direct answers for me. So my guess is the "digital lockup" and "photo lockup" are similiar to the term stockrooms , cages or inventory checkouts?

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 05:55 pm (UTC)

yeah, basically what other schools call "cages" we call lockup.
it's basically where you'll check out whatever stuff you'll need.

Sun, Jan. 13th, 2008 06:34 pm (UTC)

do you get paid for it? or are there some other perks to it?